Pet Neurological Care For Cats & Dogs in Gaithersburg
At Veterinary Referral Associates in Gaithersburg our board-certified veterinary neurologists provide comprehensive medical and surgical care for pets with neurological conditions.
At your appointment, our neurology specialist will perform a detailed neurological exam to determine if, and what part of your pet's nervous system is affected.
After the exam, the neurologist will discuss the most likely causes of your pet's issues. Testing, including diagnostic imaging and our state-of-the-art MRI services, will typically be necessary to determine the exact cause
Treatment for neurological conditions varies and may include medical therapy, surgery, or intensive care.
Our Board-Certified Veterinary Neurologists
Board-certified veterinary neurologists have completed additional specialized training in the field of veterinary neurology. This training, in the form of a residency, exposes a veterinarian to a variety of neurological diseases affecting a variety of animals, which is followed by an extensive examination process.
Common Neurologic Conditions
Neurological conditions in pets commonly treated by our veterinary neurologist include:
- Intervertebral disc disease
- Encephalitis and meningitis
- Epilepsy, especially difficult to manage or refractory cases
- Brain and spinal tumors
- Syringomyelia/Occipital malformation
- Chronic pain
- Paralysis and/or limb weakness
- Stroke and fibrocartilagenous embolism (FCE)
- Degenerative myelopathy
- Complete neurologic exam and lesion localization
- MRI and CT interpretation
- Cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) collection and evaluation
- Hemilaminectomy and ventral slot decompression for IVDD
- Craniotomy (brain surgery) for brain tumors
- Spinal tumor removal or biopsy
- Lumbosacral dorsal laminectomy for LS stenosis and cauda equina syndrome
- Nerve and muscle biopsy